Monday, January 12, 2009

B and J Service


This blog is for the family and friends of Buz and Jennie Stearns. We are having a memorial service for them in the mountains near Asheville, North Carolina, on the weekend of May 30/31. In the comments section, please indicate if Saturday or Sunday would be best for you. Karen, RM, and I are thinking of renting an RV and staying in the KOA campground with Laura and Carl. There are cabins there too. Anna is investigating. It would be more fun if we could all stay in the same place. If a hotel/motel is more appealing, is anyone(s) willing to subsidize Carl and Laura's rooms? When we have more info and consensus, I will ask everyone to rsvp and send Anna a deposit so she can reserve rooms, cabins, or camping space. Of course everyone is free to make their own arrangements.
The purpose of this blog is to share information and get feedback from everyone that wants to attend. This is my first blog, so I hope it will go smoothly and accomplish its purpose. I want to include some pictures, comments, and suggestions. It just seems a good way for us all to stay informed and up to date. If you have questions about how to participate, ask a young person, Google blogging, or e-mail or call me (David).

7 comments:

  1. David,

    I couldn't get it to let me post photobucket image codes so that the pictures would show up in the blog. But here is the link to the photobucket album with the pictures of Jump Off Rock. I think its a perfect spot as long as we think the parking is sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess it would help if I posted the link...duh!

    ....well shoot! Won't let me paste a clickable link either. Anyhoo...here's the url, you can cut/paste it into your browser.

    http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/anna8297/Jump%20Off%20Rock/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. That works. Just to the upper right-hand side of the pictures is the slideshow option. Just click it and it should play a slideshow.

    Now, as for accommodations, to bring everyone up to speed. There is a KOA in Swannanoa which has camping spots, RV hookups, and about 8 cabins for rent. BUT...its about a 45 minute drive to Hendersonville and the spot where the memorial is. I think it would be a blast to camp, but completely understand you old fogies who want the comforts of a bed :) My first thought was that the hotel that we all stayed at in Hendersonville a few years back would be perfect. Does anyone remember the name of that hotel? If so, I'll call them and find out about group rates. I also thought I could check with the hotel to see if there is a camping spot within a few miles that would be convenient. At the very least we will need about 8 hotel rooms no matter what Laura and Carl and I decide to do.

    Thanks for getting the blog up David, and let me know what you think about the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the hotel is beside that huge clothing store in Hendersonville, right near the highway. Here are a few guesses:
    Ramada Limited
    150 Sugarloaf Rd
    Hendersonville, NC US 28792

    Quality Inn & Suites
    201 Sugarloaf Road
    Hendersonville, NC US 28739

    Red Roof Inn Hendersonville, Nc
    240 Mitchelle Drive
    Hendersonville, NC US 28792

    I'm going to do some more research later. I'll be back.

    Love
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you look through VRBO.com and see if there are any cabins that would work for everyone? I am not sure how many are coming yet?
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure we can find a cabin for all of us and/or space to camp right outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am fine with staying in a hotel, cabin, or on the ground - I just want to stay where everyone else is.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete

Click on "Comments" to see what others have written.